MSVMA membership schools are encouraged to participate in District Solo & Ensemble Festivals. Students should be enrolled in grades 6 to 12 and members in good standing in their school's vocal music program.
Junior High/Middle School Eligibility
- Sixth graders may not enter as soloists.
- Seventh and eighth grade students may participate as soloists, receiving either a final determination or comments only, with district allowance and director request.
- Ninth grade students may participate as soloists, receiving a Final Determination or comments only.
- Sixth graders may participate in ensembles that include seventh and eighth grade students.
- Seventh, eighth, and ninth grade students may participate in ensembles for ratings or comments only.
- Soloists and ensembles must sing two selections of a contrasting nature.
- Soloists may sing one opera aria.
- Soloists must perform one selection in its entirety from the Soloists’ Approved Repertoire list. Click link to view the Approved Repertoire list.
- Popular, show/musical tunes, vocal jazz, barbershop or novelty selections are not acceptable.
- Changes in literature must be made by one week before the Festival.
- If Public Domain or purchased online copies of music are used, proof of music origin is required.
- Soloists must perform from memory to receive a final determination.
- Ensembles may use music.
- Instrumental accompaniment other than piano is allowed but must not detract from the performance.
- Small ensembles consist of 2 – 5 singers.
- Large ensembles consist of 6 – 20 singers.
- The personnel of the ensemble shall not change between the performance and sight reading rooms.
- The personnel of the ensemble shall not change from one selection to the other.
- Performance time may not exceed 8 minutes.
- Choreography is not allowed.
- Original copies of each piece with the measures numbered must be provided for the judge in order to earn a final determination.
- Directors and accompanists may not conduct and/or play for more than 5 events on Friday, and no more than 5 events on Saturday morning or afternoon.
- Students may participate in up to 5 events, with no more than 3 occurring on Friday, Saturday morning or afternoon.
If a school wishes to transfer to another district for district festival, the following steps must be completed:
- Contact your district managers and those of the district that you wish to transfer to and explain your request. Permission must be granted by all district managers involved.
- Once permission from all district managers has been obtained, submit the District Event Transfer Form by November 15. Click to access the form.
- Shortly after November 15, the president elect will review requests and inform the applicants of the decision.
Each event receives adjudication from a performance adjudicator including written comments to support the scoring decisions.
Directors are encouraged to complete an online Adjudicator Performance Evaluation following a Festival. Adjudicators will not see the actual evaluation and director identification. A summary of the adjudicator's evaluations will be shared with him/her at the end of the school year.
||30 - 24
||23 - 18
||17 - 12
||11 - 6
State Solo & Ensemble Festival Qualification
- Soloists with a raw score of 23 or higher
- Ensembles with a final determination of Excellent
- The director who represents the school members must complete applications for students.
- Registration is completed online using the Festival Scheduler. Online scheduling questions should be directed to Andrea Gay at AndreaGay@msvma.org.
- Fees and deadlines are determined by each district. Consult your District Page for details.
- Invoice and payment must be postmarked by the district deadline. Invoices must have all the required signatures to be accepted. Purchase orders will not be accepted.
- Failure to meet established district deadlines will result in events not being scheduled.