Junior High/Middle School Eligibility
- Sixth graders may not enter as soloists.
- Seventh and eighth grade students may participate as soloists, receiving either a final determination or comments only, with district allowance and director request.
- Ninth grade students may participate as soloists, receiving a Final Determination or comments only.
- Sixth graders may participate in ensembles that include seventh and eighth grade students.
- Seventh, eighth, and ninth grade students may participate in ensembles for ratings or comments only.
- The director who represents the school members must complete applications for students.
- Registration is completed online using the Festival Scheduler. For login information click here. Online scheduling questions should be directed to Andrea Gay at AndreaGay@msvma.org. For technical issues, contact email@example.com.
- Fees and deadlines are determined by each district. Consult your District Page for details.
- Invoice and payment must be postmarked by the district deadline. Invoices must have all the required signatures to be accepted. Purchase orders are accepted.
- Failure to meet established district deadlines will result in events not being scheduled.
Small Ensemble $30
Large Ensemble $50
*An art song is usually written for one voice with piano accompaniment in the classical art music tradition. In German it is called lieder; in French, chanson. An art song is a complete composition in itself and is not part of a larger work such as an opera or oratorio.
- Soloists must sing two age appropriate songs of contrasting nature. These songs should be from the art song, oratorio, or operatic repertory, but only one post-baroque aria may be performed.*
- When choosing literature, soloists can use this Suggested Repertoire list as a guide. There is no longer a required list for soloists.
- If multiple strophic verses are included in the original work, it is acceptable to select two (or more if needed) in the interest of time
- If an original work repeats without any changes to text or musical content, it is acceptable to eliminate the repeat sign in the interest of time (da capo arias)
- Accompanists are encouraged to reduce lengthy introductions and interludes in the interest of time.
- Popular, show/musical tunes, vocal jazz, barbershop or novelty selections are not acceptable and will result in a ‘no rating’.
- If public domain or copies of music purchased online is used, printed proof of origin is required and should be in the performance room during the performance. Failure to do so will result in a ‘no rating’.
- Two original copies of each song are required in the performance room, and measures must be clearly numbered. Failure to do so will result in a ‘no rating.’
- At State Solo & Ensemble, Soloists will be allowed 15 minutes for warm-up, 15 minutes for performance and 7 ½ minutes for sight reading.
- Ensembles must sing two songs at District Festival and three for State Solo & Ensemble Festival. Junior high/middle school participants have the option of only singing two songs.
- Soloists must perform from memory to receive a final determination.
- Ensembles may use music.
- Instrumental accompaniment other than piano is allowed but must not detract from the performance.
- Small ensembles consist of 2 – 5 singers.
- Large ensembles consist of 6 – 20 singers.
- The personnel of the ensemble shall not change between the performance and sight reading rooms.
- The personnel of the ensemble shall not change from one selection to the other.
- Performance time may not exceed 8 minutes.
- Choreography is not allowed. However, artful staging and appropriate choral movement that reflect performance practice of the genre is allowed.
- An original score of each piece with the measures numbered must be provided for the judge in order to earn a final determination.
- Directors and accompanists may not conduct and/or play for more than 5 events on Friday, and no more than 5 events on Saturday morning or afternoon.
- Students may participate in up to 5 events, with no more than 3 occurring on Friday, Saturday morning or afternoon.
State Solo & Ensemble Festival Qualification
- Soloists with a raw score of 23 or higher
- Ensembles with a final determination of Excellent
For more information on festival participation, click here.