Dear MSVMA Members,
MSVMA leadership met on Saturday and made some difficult decisions and plans regarding our upcoming festivals.
I regret to announce that all remaining MSVMA festivals will be cancelled this year. This includes:
- State Solo & Ensemble Festivals
- State Choral Festivals
- A Cappella Festival
- Michigan Youth Arts Festival
These decisions come in the wake of the new CDC recommendation that all gatherings of 50+ people be cancelled for the next 8 weeks. Full refunds will be given if you have already registered and paid for these events.
Provided that school goes back in session early to mid-April:
- MSVMA will look to provide online adjudication opportunities for Solo & Ensemble, Choral Festival, and A Cappella Festival participants that are interested. These online adjudications will be offered at a lower cost than typical festival participation and will qualify participants for medals and plaques.
- MSVMA will explore the possibility of an All-State Honors Choir experience later in May.
- MSVMA will explore the possibility of the Musical Theatre Honors Ensemble performing at the same time as the All-State Honors Choir.
We are currently discussing other virtual opportunities that we may be able to provide our member teachers and students over the next several weeks.
We understand the disappointment that continues to come in this difficult time in nearly every facet of your students' lives. It is our responsibility to look after the health and well-being of each other and our students, both physically and emotionally. Each of these cancellation decisions was made with much discussion about possible alternatives, but we are at the mercy of the current situation. Be assured that as soon as we return to our daily lives, MSVMA will do everything in our power to continue offering vocal music opportunities to students.
Erik L. Jacobson
Michigan School Vocal Music Association
P.O. Box 1131
Big Rapids, MI 49307-1131
(231) 592 - 9344
© copyright 2019 MSVMA, All rights reserved.