MSVMA welcomes high school students to participate in its Musical Theater Solo and Ensemble Festivals. Participants must be enrolled and in good standing in their school's vocal music program. Their school must be a member of MSVMA.
Guidelines and Rules
- The director who is the school membership representative will complete the online student applications.
- Invoice including required signatures should be printed and mailed to the MSVMA State Office by the registration deadline. Payment of non-refundable fees must be mailed with the invoice. Purchase orders are not accepted.
- Directors are encouraged to give careful consideration to the age appropriateness of the literature.
- All questions should be directed to the Festival Supervisor.
- In signing the registration form, the principal and the director agree supervise the students from their school to ensure proper conduct at the festival. Improper student conduct may result in sanctions being imposed by the MSVMA Executive Board.
- Performers are expected to present a convincing musical performance. Cautious use of belt and using a more mixed tone is encouraged.
- Each event must perform two selections of contrasting styles - an up-tempo piece and a ballad. Music must be memorized.
- One selection must have been composed before 1965.
- Recommended composers include: Harold Arlen, Irving Berlin, Hoagy Carmichael, Vernon Duke, Duke Ellington, George and Ira Gershwin, Jerome Kern, Cole Porter, Rodgers and Hart, Rodgers and Hammerstein, Hart and Loewe, Arthur Schwartz, Jule Styne, Jimmy VanHeusen, Vincent Youmans, early Stephen Sondheim, early Leonard Bernstein, Kurt Weill
- There are no required "books" for this event.
- Each event must provide two original copies of the selections (one for the adjudicator and one for the accompanist) with measures clearly numbered. Failure to do so will result in no Final Determination. If music was purchased online, you must have two original proofs of purchase, one for each copy.
- Use of illegally duplicated music will disqualify the soloist or ensemble from receiving a Final Determination. However, the event will be allowed to perform for "comments only".
- Any changes in the literature must be changed online one week prior to the Festival.
- When performing music requiring accompaniment, live accompaniment must be used.
- Each accompanist may only play for 10 events.
- Each soloist and ensemble will be assessed an application fee.
Soloists and Duets
- Events will be allotted a minimum of 15 minutes which includes entry and exit to and from the performance room and time for oral comments from the adjudicator.
- The MSVMA S&E rubric will be used for this event.
- The student's director is the only person that can ask for a change to the schedule. No parents or students are allowed in the headquarters. If the student's director is not there, the student has no option to be rescheduled.
- The individual in charge of the master schedule will work with the director to determine if an opening is available that will accommodate the student and the accompanist.
- A fee of $10 shall be paid at the acceptance of the rescheduled opening or the event will not perform. Payment will be made by cash or director's check payable to MSVMA.
Fees are $30 for soloists and $50 for duets.
Deadline for registration and payment is October 23, 2016.
For registration questions, contact State Events Scheduling Coordinator Marge Payne at firstname.lastname@example.org
Checks for fees payable to MSVMA via school or director's check should be mailed to:
P.O. Box 1131
Big Rapids, MI 49307
Signed invoices should be mailed to:
Oxford, MI 48371