- All students 7-12th grade may participate as soloists or in ensembles, receiving a Final Determination or comments only.
- The director must complete the online registration through this event link.
- The submission fee for each event is $25.
- Payments can be made by credit card or check. Please mail all checks to:
P.O. Box 1131
Big Rapids, MI 49307
- Invoice and payment must be postmarked by the deadline. Purchase orders are accepted.
- Deadline to register and pay is November 30.
- No late registrations will be accepted.
- Refunds can be requested by completing the form below.
- On December 1, a Dropbox request for video submissions will be sent to registrants who have paid.
- Only one video is to be submitted per event, with a pause between repertoire selections.
- Video submissions must be in a "live" format without edits.
- Before singing, hold up the original copy of the score to the camera.
- The video should be treated as a performance, with appropriate conduct and attire.
- While video quality is not part of the final determination, singers are encouraged to follow these guidelines for proper adjudication: place the camera at a reasonable height, distance, and angle to capture the entire singer and the most natural sound quality possible. Use adequate lighting. Avoid people, pets, or personal items visible in the background.
- Video submissions are due by December 15.
- Video MUST be titled "Last Name, First Name, School".
- Students must upload a PDF of sheet music via the Dropbox link. Music must be titled, "Last Name, First Name, Song Title"
- Participants will receive their adjudicated scores and comments by January 22.
- Soloists, Duets, and Ensembles (up to 20 performers) are eligible to participate.
- Events will be allotted a maximum of 15 minutes.
- The MSVMA S&E rubrics will be used for this event.
- Performers are expected to present a convincing musical performance. Cautious use of belt and using a more mixed tone is encouraged.
- Each event must perform two selections of contrasting styles - an up-tempo piece and a ballad. Music must be memorized.
- Recommended composers include: Harold Arlen, Irving Berlin, Hoagy Carmichael, Vernon Duke, Duke Ellington, George and Ira Gershwin, Jerome Kern, Cole Porter, Rodgers and Hart, Rodgers and Hammerstein, Hart and Loewe, Arthur Schwartz, Jule Styne, Jimmy VanHeusen, Vincent Youmans, early Stephen Sondheim, early Leonard Bernstein, Kurt Weill
- There are no required "books" for this event.
- Each event must show original copies of the score. Hold up and original copy of scores at the beginning of the video submission.
- When performing music requiring accompaniment, live accompaniment or a piano accompaniment track may be used.
- Ensembles may perform published choral arrangements of Broadway tunes.
- One selection must have been composed before 1965 (Contemporary arrangements of selections originally published before 1965 are allowed).
- The use of costumes, choreography, or other elements that evoke the story or characters of a legitimate stage musical work is prohibited in the absence of a performance license. However, facial expression and physical involvement that is appropriate to the text and style of the music is encouraged.
- Directors are encouraged to give careful consideration to the age appropriateness of the literature.